The Canning dock was opened in 1737 as the Dry Dock, a protected tidal basin providing an entrance to Old Dock. Having been subsequently enclosed as a wet dock three years earlier, in 1832 it was officially named after the Liverpool MP George Canning. To the east is the site of Old Dock, built in 1709, which was the world first enclosed commercial dock. Canning Dock would have initially served ships involved in the trans Atlantic slave trade. The addition of modern architecture such as the Musuem of Liverpool, cafe's, restaurants, galleries and offices have all added to the character around the dock and waterfront. The Liverpool Waterfront in recent years has seen a large increase in modern architecture yet there is still so much of its older character and spirit visible in its urban landscape. This digitally enhanced photograph in creating an antique plate effect, tries to capture the spirit of Liverpool's 'Where Old meets New'