Twr Bach Beacon on Llanddwyn Island photographed at sunset. Twr Bach translated from Welsh to English is Small Tower. It was built in the early 19th century to light the entrance of the Menai Strait for shipping. It was supplemented with a larger lighthouse tower 'Twr Mawr' built further west on the island in 1848. Both lighthouses are located on a small tidal island called Llanddwyn, which translates in English to the 'church of St Dwynwen'. St Dwynwen was the patron saint of lovers in Wales and she lived on the island in 5th century AD. A chapel was soon established and many pilgrimages made to island for centuries afterwards. You can still view the earl chapel ruins and stone crosses on the island to this day. Llanddwyn Island, Anglesey, Wales, UK.

Twr Bach Beacon

£20.00Price
Print Size

                                        palombellahart@gmail.com          Tel 07725 865177          Llanelian-yn-Rhos, Conwy, Wales, UK

    © 2018 by Palombella Hart Photography